WM Bolthouse Farms
Bolthouse Farms is a farm located in California’s fertile San Joaquin Valley, known for high-quality consumer brands and innovative products. Bolthouse Farms is a market share leader in growing and distributing carrots. In addition, Bolthouse Farms produces and sells super-premium juices, smoothies, protein shakes and café beverages under the Bolthouse Farms® brand name. In recent years, Bolthouse Farms diversified its offerings by launching a line of premium refrigerated yogurt dressings and extra virgin olive oil vinaigrettes. The Bolthouse Farms mission is to change the way people consume healthy foods and beverages.
The Director of Agronomy will be responsible for research, development, trialing and selection of third-party commercial varieties for the Bolthouse carrot growing operation as well as the expansion of organic production, and the selection of rotation and cover crops.
- Manage, design, develop, and implement carrot cultivar selection projects to develop hybrids that will contribute to the commercial success of the company.
- Develop long and short-term breeding and selection strategies with focus on specific markets for various types of carrots and other crops.
- Work with third party breeders to develop and apply modern technologies of plant breeding by using molecular markers to select and incorporate genes for target traits with traditional breeding methods.
- Design, organize and conduct trial programs in target market zones. Work closely with the regional sales groups to introduce and manage commercial varieties.
- Identify appropriate varieties and make recommendations for advancement and commercialization.
- Create breeding goals to produce new products by translating market requirements and future needs from the marketing and sales team.
- Manage research budget and resources.
- Collaborate with other research and product development team members of the company to exchange ideas, germplasm, data and other items to maximize performance of the team.
- Research pesticide degradation to improve MRL processes
- New technology for improved disease control
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong experience in organic farming, including rotation of crops and cover crops
- Strong background in plant breeding, genetics, field plot technique and statistical analysis, and molecular marker applications in plant breeding.
- Proven track record in selection, development and release of commercial hybrids.
- Experience in budget and personnel management, including recruitment and development of staff.
- Experience with data management, statistical analysis software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment with multidisciplinary teams.
- Language skills: Fluent English required, Spanish a plus.
- Experience in an international work environment; ability to deal with various and diverse cultures and work habits.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Master’s degree in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Crop Science; minor in Plant Pathology desirable.
- Minimum five years of plant breeding and selection experience after graduation.
- Ph.D. degree a plus
Note: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: